In 2006, Usha Vishwakarma -- an 18-year-old girl living in India -- was sexually assaulted by one of her coworkers. She fought back in 2011 by founding the Red Brigade -- a group of young women who fight to make India a safer place with a focus on cutting down sexual assault of women.
The Red Brigade was founded on the principles of protecting women and aiming to publicly humiliate the men who were responsible for the sexual assault, and at times, seek violent revenge.
Today, the Red Brigade has about 22 members, and the group has devised several plans to keep the women in the area safe. While they organize rallies and provide counseling, the group notably gives self defense training to young women and girls in school.
More from AOL.com:
Welfare recipient drug testing brings shocking results
Moscow hosts free movie nights for the homeless
Approximately 58,000 college students are homeless
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.03% APR (15 yr)
- Forget Your 401k if you Own a Home (Do This)
- Make the Switch from a 30 to 15 Year Mortgage
- 5 three-ingredient summer slushies: ‘That looks so refreshing!’
- Mom is praised for huge, ‘beautiful’ blended family with ex-husband: ‘…
- This father-daughter sing-a-long has TikTok beaming: ‘I was having a b…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!