JPay, the private corrections service, announced their latest prison product: a tablet.
The device will be available for purchase to over 2 million incarcerated Americans across 34 states and will replace the 60,000 previous generation tablets that are already in use in a variety of prisons.
Many security concerns were taken in consideration when designing the product. Potential smuggling was solved by making the case of the tablet out of transparent polycarbonate plastic, while hacking was prevented by installing a highly secure boot loader that doesn't allow any tweaking of the operative system.
The inmates will be able to access music, email, video chat and more , though all content is policed and censored at the discretion of the facility.
As JPay CEO Ryan Shapiro commented in an email to TechCrunch, "our mission is to educate and rehabilitate offenders to reduce recidivism. Technology plays a vital role in corrections and we're proud to offer tablets that keep people connected and help inmates become productive members of society once released."
Check out a gallery with some amazing photos of this abandoned prison in Ecuador:
More from AOL.com:
Outraging photo of cop parked in handicapped spot goes viral
Donald Trump tweeted a photo of Nazi troops on the American flag
Evil plane seat design is about to ruin air travel forever
The Latest from our Partners
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program