Summer brings higher temperatures and warmer waters, and as pleasant as that can be they're not without their share of risks.
Among them is the flourishing of tiny organisms, including Naegleria fowleri, which can cause a fatal infection.
The brain-eating amoeba has been determined as the cause of a 21-year-old Central California woman's death.
On June 16th, she began to experience a headache and vomiting. When her symptoms carried on into the next day, she went to the hospital.
While there, her condition worsened and she was transferred to a medical facility in Reno. On the 20th, the woman went into cardiac arrest and could not be saved.
Tests performed by the CDC came up positive for the deadly amoeba's presence, and officials believe she came into contact with it while on private property.
Naegleria fowleri-related deaths are rare, with only about 130 reported in the past 53 years.
Measures to avoid coming into contact with the organism include steering clear of poorly or unmaintained warm freshwater sources including pools, hot springs, and ponds.
More from AOL.com:
Russian craft delivers long-awaited cargo to space station
On his native turf, Pope Francis touches on cherished issues
At least 14 hurt in deck collapse at North Carolina beach
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- 4,800 Amazon shoppers swear by Bissell’s high-pressure surface clea…
- This sustainable skincare brand makes healthy products for you and the…
- DSW is offering up to 40 percent off on dozens of sneakers, with deals…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance