In case there weren't enough forms of rejection in the world, here's the most recent: "swipe left." When someone uses the term "swipe left" about another person, he or she essentially deems said person unworthy of romantic or friendly attention. When someone uses the term "swipe right," on the other hand, the opposite definition applies. Thus, "swipe right" is positive and "swipe left" is negative.
The terms originated through millennials' favorite "dating" (read: casual hook-up) app, Tinder. To use the app, various potential suiters' photos and short bios are featured on a user's mobile screen. The user "swipes" the photo to the right if he or she is interested in the person in the photo. If uninterested, the user "swipes" left. If both potential suiters swipe right for each other, they form a match! They are then given the option to converse with one another through the app.
The terms are now becoming applicable in real life. They're generally used when groups of friends gossip about potential romantic interests. To communicate approval or disapproval, people say "swipe left" or "swipe right."
"Wait you think he's cute? Ew, no, swipe left."
"My hair is not even a thing right now. Hard swipe left."
"Wow, swipe right, he's so hot."
Click through this slideshow to see how Twitter fiends use "swipe left":
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!