1. Certain parts of the post-9/11 Patriot Act expired today, June 1, including the NSA's collection of Americans' phone records. The Senate worked over the weekend to try to come to an agreement before the program expired, but were unable to settle in time. Read more here.
2. In case you missed it this weekend, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry broke his leg in a bicycle accident while abroad, and was immediately taken by helicopter to a Swiss hospital. He was later flown to the United States for further treatment and is said to be in good spirits. He'd broken his right femur. Read more here.
3. Vice President Joe Biden's son Beau Biden died this weekend at the age of 46, after battling brain cancer. He had followed his father's footsteps, entering politics and serving as Delaware's attorney general for two terms, and was planning to run for governor in 2016. Read more here.
4. The sun is finally shining on Texas this week, revealing the staggering damage across the state. Experts suggest it tops $45 million. Read more here.
5. Big news in the celebrity world! Kim Kardashian revealed last night that she's pregnant with her second child with Kanye West. North is about to have a little sibling! Read more here.