(KFOR) TILLMAN COUNTY, Okla. — An Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper is sharing his remarkable story of survival.
Trooper Gary Sanders was critically injured in a Tillman County accident back in March. Sanders was in his cruiser when a driver crashed into him. The impact sent his car into the vehicle he had pulled over just minutes before the crash.
The accident left Trooper Sanders with broken bones and major internal injuries, but after numerous surgeries and support from his family and community, he is already back up and walking.
NewsChannel 4 sat down with Trooper Sanders on Wednesday. He told us it is hard to think back on the accident that nearly took his life.
"Looking at it, I should have died," Sanders cried.
On dash-cam video, you can see him in the middle of a traffic stop when the unexpected happens.
"When I walked back from the car after I made my contact with the driver and I was walking back, I seen the gentleman coming up the highway just like any other traffic. I never saw him about to strike me," Trooper Sanders said.
Sanders was trapped for nearly 40 minutes. He was rushed to a hospital where he was in a coma for several days. When he woke up, he began remembering what happened.
Some say it is a miracle that he survived. In response to that, Trooper Sanders said, "If you want to use the term miracle, yes. I just say God's not finished with me yet."
Trooper Sanders still has a long journey ahead of him. He is relearning everyday tasks, like how to walk, but with every step, he is making progress.
"I know I can get back there eventually. It's just going to take time," Trooper Sanders said. "I just got the will to survive. I'm not a quitter. Quit is not in my vocabulary."
OHP is still investigating why the driver crashed into Trooper Sanders.
We asked Trooper Sanders if he is angry with the driver. He said he is not holding a grudge.
More from AOL
Intel nears $15 billion deal to buy Altera: NY Post
AP Exclusive: UN rights staff fear for jobs amid abuse case
Body-shamed 'Dancing Man' finally gets his epic party
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate at four-week low
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- These Buffalo tofu tacos with a side of viral green goddess salad a…
- TikTok found an affordable dupe for Lululemon’s Everywhere Belt Bag th…
- TikTok is obsessed with a woman who finds and re-creates recipes writt…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!