Military veteran Ginger Miller pulled herself out of the cycle of homelessness, and now she's helping others to do the same. Miller, the president and CEO of Women Veterans Interactive recognizes that her journey is very similar to the journey of so many male and female veterans today.
"When I got out, I didn't have any skills," she said. "My husband was suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder. My family really didn't understand what that meant, and they told us that we had to find some place to go." Miller and her family truly had nothing, and they ended up being homeless.
Miller reflected on her life after the military and the shift in pride that she experienced. "As veterans, we don't choose to be homeless, but when you serve your country, you have a sense of pride," she said. "When you get out, and things are not going well, that sense of pride starts to diminish."
In an effort to pull herself out of homelessness, Miller went to school full-time, worked three part time jobs, and ultimately did what was necessary to survive. She know has a master's degree and serves as the president and CEO for her non-profit. She made a point to say that veterans need to be prepared for their transitions at least one year before their release.
Steve Berg of the National Alliance to End Homelessness recognized that "some skills are transferrable, while others are not," but he is making an effort to focus on physical housing as a priority. Berg said, "It's very hard...whatever skills you have. If you don't have a place to go at night or a key to open a door, you're going to have a hard time getting yourself back into the workforce."
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- ‘To the boy who doesn’t let anything get him down’: Mom honors Disa…
- Nordstrom shoppers are raving about how well these white pants fit: ‘I…
- These are the 25 fashion and beauty deals you don’t want to miss at Am…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!