Years of turmoil have left one region of the world in dire economic condition.
According to a recent World Bank report, Gaza in the Middle East has the highest unemployment rate in the world at 43 percent and an even higher youth unemployment rate which exceeded 60 percent at the end of last year.
Overall, the group estimates that the area's GDP is about a quarter the size it would have been without the blockades and skirmishes.
As a result, 39 percent of the population lives under the poverty line and almost 80 percent sustain themselves with some government assistance.
Options are extremely limited for the population of approximately 1.8 million people who lack freedom of movement beyond the territory's nearly 7 mile by 32 mile borders.
Part of the problem stems from Israel's continuing military exchanges with Hamas, an Islamic group viewed as terrorists, which has controlled Gaza for several years.
Also affecting the economy are the blockades by Israel and Egypt's closure of tunnels used for smuggling goods across their border.
More from AOL
US, Swiss timed FIFA raids for maximum effect
Shocking ads ignite debate about abortion ban in Chile
Is rent out of reach? Study shows how 11 US cities stack up
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- 8 of the cutest tie-dye swimsuits from around the web at every pric…
- ‘I held my fiancée’s sister’s baby, and she freaked out’
- Even your toddler will love this gluten-free, fruit-filled smash cake …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!