Ancient human remains found in Spain have become the oldest known fossil evidence of murder.
Scientists have determined the person was likely hit in the face twice with the same object, fracturing the skull. Because of the location of the blows in the facial region, the number of strikes, and the lack of healing before death, the team have determined that blunt force trauma was the deliberate cause of this person's demise.
This conclusion is based on a reconstructed image of the skull called Cranium 17, which was made from about 50 bone fragments found at a site in northern Spain known as Pit of Bones. The remains have been estimated to be around 430,000 years old and could be of a young adult.
The study also found that the person was likely dead when he or she was deposited at the site. This could indicate an early funeral practice since the remains of 27 others were also found there. Based on DNA analysis from an unrelated study, the bones are considered to be those of individuals from the Homo Heidelbergensis species and not modern humans.
More from AOL.com:
Space travel impacts skin, hair of mice
Amber Rose is completely unrecognizable in this super-'90s throwback pic
Honor society revokes student's position over her attire
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!