May 27th, 1937: The newly-completed Golden Gate Bridge opens to the public -- connecting San Francisco and Marin County, California. Louis Reggiardo helped build the famous suspension bridge.
1999: A U.N. tribunal in the Netherlands indicts Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and four of his aides for war crimes in Kosovo. Two years later, Milosevic is arrested and handed over to the tribunal. In 2006, he's found dead in his prison cell, while still on trial.
1941: During World War Two, the British Navy sinks Nazi Germany's battleship Bismarck off the coast of France.
1936: The Queen Mary -- one of the world's great ocean liners -- leaves England on its maiden voyage. The ship, part of the Cunard line, is now retired ... serving as a hotel and conference center in Long Beach, California.
And, 1995: Actor Christopher Reeve is paralyzed when he's thrown from his horse during an equestrian event in Charlottesville, Virginia. Reeve -- best known for playing Superman on the silver screen -- dies more than nine years later.
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- The best delivery services for sending flowers and houseplants this…
- This hydrating serum gives you ‘glass skin’ — and one bottle is sold e…
- There’s so much comfy, cozy loungewear on sale for less than $25 at T.…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance