A remarkable photograph of an American bald eagle perched atop of a veteran's gravestone went viral on Memorial Day, and reminded the nation the true reason for the national holiday.Sunday evening, the Department of Veterans Affairs tweeted an image of our national bird sitting on a Fort Snelling National Cemetery gravestone. Suddenly, the image was all over Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
The picture was taken by amateur photographer Frank Glick in the spring of 2011. According to the Star Tribune, the Minnesota resident was driving to work early one morning and spotted the eagle, so he took out his aging Nikon camera and snapped a series of pictures. After the Star Tribune published the photograph, it all started.
Calls from all over the country started pouring in with questions and requests to use the image of the eagle, Glick received "thank you" letters, a poem, even a song inspired by the image. However, there were also some critics who doubted the photo's authenticity and claimed the image was photoshopped.
"Initially when we found out people questioned it, I was really shocked," Glick told HuffPost Live via email.
Employees at Fort Snelling National Cemetery say they see bald eagles all the time.
Related: 2015 Memorial Day observations around the country
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 2.0% APR (15 yr)
- Experts Urge Americans to Refinance in 2021
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- This timeless best-selling tote bag is on sale for $13 on Amazon
- 7 breezy jumpsuits to wear to that summer wedding instead of a dress
- 5 epic tea bombs from TikTok that are total eye candy
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!