Chicago police officers escorted dozens of girls who are being raised without fathers to the department's first ever Daddy-Daughter Dance.
According to WMAQ, Friday evening's Daddy-Daughter Dance wasn't meant to be a police family event, instead it was a way for the fathers in the community to have formal evening with their little girls. However, for the young girls who couldn't have their fathers attend for any reason, police officers happily stood in.
The free event gave officers the opportunity to connect with their community and show they're really just normal people.
"They actually get to see us to find out that that the police are nothing but people," Cmdr. Larry Watson told WMAQ. "We just happen to have uniforms on."
The several police districts and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives who planned the dance hope to make it an annual event.
More from AOL.com:
65-year-old woman gives birth to quadruplets
UN chief says save migrants, deal with cause of flight
Both sides say Ireland has voted to legalize gay marriage
Meet the 11-year-old who just graduated from college
- Latest mortgage news: After flirting with 6%, rates retreat
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- TikToker shares just how cool it is to buy a drink at a Korean conv…
- Unexpected umami recipes on TikTok that use MSG
- You don’t have to wait until Prime Day — a bunch of the best Calvin Kl…
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!