Chicago police officers escorted dozens of girls who are being raised without fathers to the department's first ever Daddy-Daughter Dance.
According to WMAQ, Friday evening's Daddy-Daughter Dance wasn't meant to be a police family event, instead it was a way for the fathers in the community to have formal evening with their little girls. However, for the young girls who couldn't have their fathers attend for any reason, police officers happily stood in.
The free event gave officers the opportunity to connect with their community and show they're really just normal people.
"They actually get to see us to find out that that the police are nothing but people," Cmdr. Larry Watson told WMAQ. "We just happen to have uniforms on."
The several police districts and the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives who planned the dance hope to make it an annual event.
More from AOL.com:
65-year-old woman gives birth to quadruplets
UN chief says save migrants, deal with cause of flight
Both sides say Ireland has voted to legalize gay marriage
Meet the 11-year-old who just graduated from college
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!