A Charleston, South Carolina private school teacher goes above and beyond to educate her students, giving each of them one hundred dollars.
According to The Post and Courier, tenth grade english teacher Robin Gramling begins each new school year by teaching the biblical "Parable of Talents." In Matthew:25, a wealthy master gives his three servants a measure of gold according to their talents before embarking on a long journey. The first two invest the money to make a profit, but the third buries it in the ground. When the master returns, the first two servant are praised for their accomplishments and the third is cast out for being lazy.
The First Baptist School teacher ends her lesson by distributing envelopes to her students containing a one hundred dollar bill. She challenges them to double the money and give it to a non profit charity of their choice.
While the lesson may seem crazy, it works. Since she started teaching in 2011 her students have donated more than $51,000 to charity with money raised from bake sales, lemonade stands, and other fundraisers.
"In English literature, what you're doing all the time is exploring themes," Gramling explains. "And all those themes have to do with exploring the human condition. What do people struggle with? What breaks them? What transforms them? What do they live or die for?"
The english teacher explores those conditions by confronting them, and helping out the community in the process.
More from AOL.com:
Protests in Cleveland after Officer Michael Brelo's acquittal
Chicago cops escort girls without fathers to 'daddy-daughter' dance
NBA Star Russell Westbrook Sings Along to Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood'
Senate blocks House surveillance bill, 2-month extension
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Singer Cassie chats with Hannah Bronfman about being pregnant durin…
- Millions of people on TikTok love how you can transform your backyard …
- If you hate bikinis, these best-selling swim shorts on Amazon are only…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!