Here is the top 10 list of best beaches for summer 2015 as rated by Stephen Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University specializing in environment and coastal studies.
Dr. Beach's list of best beaches for 2015
Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Gulf Coast, Florida, USA
Beach at St. George Island State Park
Hana, Maui, Hawaii, United States, North America
(Ann Cecil via Getty Images)
Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, North Carolina
Key Biscayne Florida USA Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park lighthouse.
Paddle board surfer heads out to catch a wave at Coast Guard Beach. (Photo by John Greim/LightRocket via Getty Images)
Kiawah Beachwalker Park on Kiawah Island, SC.
Some beachgoers relax in the shade while others go for a run at Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park in Naples, FL. Travel photos for package on Naple, FL. (Credit Image: © J. Gwendolynne Berry/The Palm Beach Post/ZUMAPRESS.com)
East Beach, Santa Barbara, California USA.
(Blaine Harrington III/Alamy)
Leatherman, also known as Dr. Beach, issues the list annually using criteria including safety, cleanliness and accessibility.
1. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Florida
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
5. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
6. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
7. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
8. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
9. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida
10. East Beach, Santa Barbara, California