Forget the solstice, everyone knows that Memorial Day is the true kickoff to summer... and summer vacations!
Whether you're traveling around the corner or around the world, here are five tips for getting your trip off to the right start:
1. Cash Out Early: This is good advice, even if your vacation doesn't include a trip to the casino.
If you're driving to your destination, avoid transaction fees by taking cash out at your bank's ATM before hitting the road.
2. Be Prepared: That's right, if you're going on a road trip, follow the old Boy Scout motto and be prepared.
Save money by packing snacks and a cooler with drinks for the ride. You'll have a little extra cash to spend once the fun really begins.
3. Emotional Baggage: Did you know that an estimated 29 million pieces of airline luggage are estimated as delayed, misplaced or lost each year?
If you're getting on a plane, avoid having to wear the same clothes for your whole trip — or worse, having to wear a sweatsuit you bought in the airport gift shop — by bringing an extra change of clothes in your carry-on if you're getting on a plane.
4. Parental Warning: If you have young kids and your destination is hours away, you know that it's just a matter of time before you hear that dreaded question: "Are we there yet?"
Keep boredom at bay by pre-making binders for each child with activities like coloring books and crossword puzzles.
5. Road Map to Success: Plan ahead, and that goes beyond simply making it to your destination.
Every minute doesn't need to be scheduled out, but having ideas for how to make the most of your trip.
What are your tips for making sure your vacation goes off without a hitch?
More on AOL: