1. Don't rely solely on your own work
Simply putting your head down and doing your job isn't enough these days.
2. Differentiate yourself
Try to separate yourself from the pack. You can do this by becoming an expert in a certain area or skill that can benefit the entire team or office. Be that person that can assist other team members, and increase productivity.
3. Be consistent
Consistency is key, and is one of the most desired qualities in a diligent employee. To determine how consistent you are, ask yourself the following questions: Can people depend on you to behave in a similar way across a variety of circumstances? Do you treat people equally? Does your social media image reflect your in-person persona? Showing that you are even-keeled and dependable will go a long way toward getting you noticed.
4. Ask about your manager's deliverables
Show your boss that your interested in what he or she is responsible for then circle back with a plan for how you can help on the project. This really helps your manager, and you'll show him or her that you're interested in the overall success of the company and it's broader goals.
5. Tackle projects outside your job description
If you're not able to help your boss directly with his or her deliverables, ask to take on different types of projects, or (even better) offer to do the dirty work no one else wants to do. Be sure, however, that going above and beyond doesn't impact your existing tasks.
6. Check in with your boss regularly
If you don't have great visibility with your boss, send him or her a note at the end of each week to check in.
7. Be Authentic
Being trustworthy and genuine goes a long way toward long-term career success.
8. Actively participate in meetings
Meetings are not most people's favorite part of the workday, but they're unavoidable for most. Make them work for you by making meaningful contributions.
More on AOL.com:
How to switch careers internally
No. 1 stretch desk workers should do before bed
MSNBC anchor's secret to success
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Historic Refi Rate Alert: 2.06% APR. Can you save?
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- 4 Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- Fly Practically Free With These 5 Travel Cards
- Best Credit Cards of 2021. We did the research. Find a better card now
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program