The volcanic eruption that formed a small island about 600 miles off the coast of Japan is still going on, but researchers are already making predictions about the life that will form there.
Lava began to spew in late 2013 and within months created a land mass that went on to engulf a neighboring one.
Upon consuming the other island it also took on its name – Nishinoshima.
Before it was overwhelmed, the old Nishinoshima was home to a number of bird colonies, which fled when the situation took a dramatic turn.
They, and others like them, will be instrumental in the formation of the new ecosystem.
According to Naoki Kachi, professor and leader of the research committee at Tokyo Metropolitan University, the vomit and excrement of animals visiting it will be instrumental in the spawning of life.
It will serve as the foundation for the development of nutrient-rich soil.
Once vegetation has a suitable growing environment, what's carried to the island by the wind and the ocean will begin to thrive.
It's not predicted that the process will be swift, however, given Nishinoshima's great distance from neighboring lands.
More on AOL:
Fall of Ramadi calls US strategy into question
State Dept. to release Hillary emails by January
Prosecutors ask for gag order in Freddie Gray case
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Millions of people on TikTok love how you can transform your backya…
- If you hate bikinis, these best-selling swim shorts on Amazon are only…
- The best parenting products to make dinnertime with the kids easy and …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!