Americans give billions of dollars to charitable operations every year, but sadly not all of the recipients are legitimate.
On Tuesday, charges were filed against 4 cancer charities for allegedly scamming donors out of over 187 million dollars.
Taking the action were the Federal Trade Commission and legal representatives from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The lawsuit specifies the entities charged as the Cancer Fund of America, the Children's Cancer Fund of America, the BreastCancer Society, and Cancer Support Services, along with several directors and operators who are either related or business associates.
The complaint against them characterizes the organizations as being, "operated as personal fiefdoms characterized by rampant nepotism, flagrant conflicts of interest, and excessive insider compensation..."
Dubious acts allegedly perpetrated by the organizations' management are many.
Among the highlights is the use of donations for personal expenditures such as Disney vacations, jet ski excursions, and dating website memberships.
It's also said that the charities hired professional fundraisers and frequently allowed them to keep 85 percent of the money they collected.
Actual charitable uses are believed to account for only about 3 percent of the donation spending.
Two of the four charities involved in the filing have already agreed to take pleas and dissolve their organizations.
Below are some other examples of 'charities' which were exposed as scams:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!