The Obama administration has been working hard to make American's diets healthier, and it's believed that it could be one big step closer as early as this week.
It's expected that the FDA will be announcing a nearly total ban on the use of trans fats, also known as partially hydrogenated oils.
Though it was a popular ingredient for decades, research performed in recent times has shown it's connected to a number of very serious health problems. It's estimated that removing trans fats from foods will prevent roughly 7 thousand heart disease related deaths and approximately 20 thousand heart attacks per year.
A number of America's favorite foods, such as Oreos and Cheetos, have already been rid of the ingredient. According to Politico, others, like Pop Secret microwave popcorn and Sarah Lee cheesecake, still contain it.
Part of the appeal of using partially hydrogenated oils is that they boost shelf life and enhance texture. They also help foods take and retain color, and thus are popular in the making of embellishments such as sprinkles.
It's unclear at this time if a content threshold will be established and, if so, what it may be. It is anticipated that food makers will be given a good amount of time to make the transition.
More from AOL
Why do men exist? Scientific study offers an explanation
Long lost siblings reunited in writing class
Obama tweets, and a million follow: 'It's Barack. Really!'
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Pregnant woman: ‘I’m not giving up my baby’s name for my sister’s s…
- Before you step outside, slather yourself down in one of the top sunsc…
- Nordstrom’s activewear brand Z by Zella is the ultimate destination fo…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!