A 19-year old who was recently elected mayor of Indian Head, Maryland, is focused on encouraging businesses to return to the area.
"New vision, new way" was the campaign slogan Brandon Paulin used in response to the lack of improvement that was being made by the incumbent candidates.
According to him, the 1.5-square-mile town of less than 4,000 people on the western side of the state has been experiencing "a decline for a very long time."
He notes that the area was once thriving, but many stores now remain vacant.
One of his plans as mayor is to impose a fee on the owners of unoccupied commercial buildings to offset beneficial tax write-offs they get for the unused space.
Paulin was officially elected with 62.4 percent of the 383 votes cast.
His strategy involved going house to house to campaign for votes.
While performing his mayoral duties, he will continue studying political science at the College of Southern Maryland.
Though Paulin is the youngest mayor in Maryland's history, other teens have held official government posts.
More on AOL:
Fall of Ramadi calls US strategy into question
State Dept. to release Hillary emails by January
Prosecutors ask for gag order in Freddie Gray case
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- $300K Refi in This Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!