This Houston house could be yours for just $150 and an essay. It may sound too good to be true, but this appears completely legitimate.
Realtor Michael Wachs has sold plenty of other people's homes the traditional way, but when it comes to selling his own home, he decided to try something unusual. He and his wife are offering his two-bedroom, one-bathroom house to the person who writes the most compelling 200 word essay as to why they should get the 1056-square foot home, and pays a $150 entry fee.
Wachs says he was inspired by the owners of the Center Love Inn in Maine who made headlines earlier in 2015 for selling their property a similar way, and thought it was a compelling way to drum up interest in the listing.
And if you think house is run-down and the owners are just trying to unload it for cheap, think again. The bathrooms and kitchen have been redone, there are hardwood floors, and the home is in Houston's fashionable Heights neighborhood.
To reach the nearly $400,000 market value, Wachs will need to receive about 3000 essays by the June 13 deadline. No word on how many completed applications he's received but with already thousands of hits on his website? He should plan on setting aside a lot of reading time this Memorial Day.
More from AOL
A look back 35 years after Mount St. Helens' deadly eruption
Taylor Swift wins 8 at Billboard Awards; Kanye gets booed
Scared bear spends week in central Louisiana neighborhood
- Robinhood IPO: 5 risks investors should consider as shares begin tr…
- Key 30-year mortgage rate stays low, refinancing window still open
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Can you refinance with $0 out of pocket?
- Refinance rates at 2.02% APR. Calculate your rate now
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- 5 cocktails that are perfect for beer lovers
- The celebrity-approved Barefoot Dreams blanket is on sale for Nordstro…
- ‘The most comfortable shirt I own’: Almost 600 Nordstrom shoppers are …
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!