You know what's unusual about getting accepted to every Ivy League school in the nation? Telling them all "no."That's basically what a Memphis, Tennessee, high school senior did this month. Ronald Nelson made headlines when he got accepted to all eight Ivy League schools, along with other prestigious schools like Johns Hopkins, Stanford, Vanderbilt and then some. Which school will he attend in the Fall?
The University of Alabama.
The Tuscaloosa school was the only one to offer Nelson a full ride and entrance into its top honors program.
Nelson told NBC's the Today Show he plans on attending medical school and with a full scholarship, he'll be able to start saving money for that instead of dealing with dreaded student loans.
"I just thought it was something that I didn't want to pass up because I was looking toward my long term education, not so much my short term goals really."
Clearly that type of thinking will come in handy. According to a report, the Class of 2015 has the most student debt in U.S. history, with each graduate responsible for more than $35,000 in debt on average.
Nelson says, while the Ivy League experience would have been amazing, he is more than confident he'll receive an excellent education at Alabama.
"They're going to give me invaluable experience working with the assistant dean and the dean of the honors college there, working with so many like-minded and progressive students there and I'm just incredibly excited to work with those students that both share my academic interests and don't share my academic interests."
As for advice for future grads, Nelson says it never hurts to apply for safety schools you're confident you'll get into, but also don't be afraid to reach for those bigger fish.
More to see:
Discovery opens door for homemade morphine, painkillers
Steve Irwin's father is furious at cameraman who broke pact of silence
Orson Welles' unfinished masterpiece to see light of day
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!