Most crabs end up on the dinner table, but a recent catch was so unusually big that it found a home at an aquarium instead.
Recently caught by fishermen in the English Channel, the brown crab, also called an edible crab, weighs nearly 9 pounds and measures more than 10 inches wide across its shell.
It is part of the U.K.'s largest crab species whose claws have been measured to have a grip strength of more than 90 pounds per square inch—exceeding that of humans by around 3 and a half times.
The massive claws help the crab scavenge for food and crush the shells of bivalve prey such as mussels.
After fishermen pulled up the 10-year old crustacean, they offered it to the Blue Reef Aquarium to preserve.
The animals can live for up to 30 years or more.
The crab, which they have named Beast, is currently being quarantined out of public view but is expected to be a popular attraction once a tank big enough to accommodate it is found.
Check out some more oversized animals below:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!