3D-printing can create a wide array of items to benefit humans. But for one injured sea turtle, it saved his life.
The loggerhead head turtle, an endangered species, was hit by a boat propeller in Turkey. Not only did the accident shatter the animal's jaw, but it rendered him unable to eat any food on its own.
Luckily for him, a group at Pamukkale University in Turkey took it upon themselves to right the wrong, utilizing a 3D-printer to create a replacement jaw. With the help of BTech, a Turkish company specializing in printing prosthetics, the team was successful in creating a new titanium jaw. And after two short months, doctors fitted the reptile with his new chops, becoming the first animal transplant of its kind.
Although the turtle is still being monitored, soon it will be released back into the wild and be able to fend for itself.
More from AOL.com:
Storm system pushes east after drenching Plains
What was learned from American Pharoah's Preakness victory
Exchange student injured by bison in Yellowstone Park
oman takes on stubborn opossum found living in her laundry room
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- Nordstrom just dropped a ton of new markdowns perfect for spring
- 8 of the cutest tie-dye swimsuits from around the web at every price p…
- ‘I held my fiancée’s sister’s baby, and she freaked out’
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!