The girl's 16-year-old boyfriend, Manuel, confessed to killing her when he found out she was pregnant. Police have arrested him and four relatives who reportedly helped him dispose of Paéz's body and cover up the murder.
Paéz's death underscores a larger problem of violence against women. In Argentina alone, a woman dies every 30 hours as a victim of gender violence.
Activists on Twitter are taking action by using the hashtag #NiUnaMenos to inspire government change and increase awareness.
In 2009, the Argentinian government revised its domestic violence legislation to broaden the definition of domestic abuse. In 2012, it revised its criminal code to include femicide as "aggravated homicide," but many activists argue that the laws aren't regularly enforced.
More from AOL.com:
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Refinance rates at 2.125% APR (15yr). Calculate your rate now
- A simple way to pay off your house ASAP
- Experts urge Americans to refinance in 2021
- This $23 noise machine on Amazon is a ‘lifesaver’ for peace and qui…
- These black faux leather leggings go with everything — and they’re und…
- Tiny Tech: This $40 portable wireless charger doubles as a phone stand
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance