By ISABELLE CHAPMAN
Former governor of Arkansas Mike Huckabee announced on May 5 that he would join the fray and seek the Republican nomination for the President of the United States. In his hometown of Hope, Arkansas, Huckabee declared that because he was raised to believe that "where a person started didn't mean that's where he had to stop ... so it seems perfectly fitting that it would be here that I announce that I am a candidate for President of the United States of America."
Huckabee is widely known from his 2008 presidential run and his presence in conservative media -- he has hosted a talk show on Fox News, and acted as a political commentator on radio program "The Huckabee Report." In 2008, Huckabee captured the hearts of many conservatives and managed to win eight states during the Republican primaries, though he eventually lost the nomination to Mitt Romney.
The Arkansas native enters the race for 2016 down in the polls behind several powerhouse contenders -- Bush leads the crowded field at 15.5 percent, closely trailed by Marco Rubio at 14.3 percent. Huckabee is squarely in the middle of the pack with 7.5 percent of Republicans or right-leaning Republicans saying they would back him.
Huckabee began his political career as lieutenant governor of Arkansas in 1993, before he became governor of Arkansas in 1996 after the incumbent Democratic governor was convicted of fraud and was forced to resign. He remained in office until 2007, and in 2008 made his first presidential run.
The charismatic former minister has often been picked apart by Democrats and moderate Republicans alike for his fundamentalist views and his sensationalist media strategy. But he has appealed to the masses before with his folksy likability and old school charm.
Click through above to find out more about the presidential hopeful.
More on AOL.com:
McDonald's embracing new ingredient: Kale
Facts, emotion take turns at Colorado theater shooter trial
Omar Khadr, once a Guantanamo inmate, freed on bail in Canada
The Latest from our Partners
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- The best delivery services for sending flowers and houseplants this…
- This hydrating serum gives you ‘glass skin’ — and one bottle is sold e…
- There’s so much comfy, cozy loungewear on sale for less than $25 at T.…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Two Savings Accounts That Pay 10x What Your Bank Pays
- CD Rates Skyrocket
- What Most Americans Don't Realize About Car Insurance