Eric Harris' autopsy results show he had meth in his system when he was shot and killed by a volunteer deputy last month.Robert Bates shot Harris on April 2 during a gun-sale sting. Harris' autopsy shows he died from a gunshot wound and a medical examiner ruled his death a homicide.
According to the report, Harris was diagnosed with "acute intoxication by methamphetamine," as well as suffering from cardiovascular disease and hypertension.
Bates, a 73-year-old former insurance executive, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges. He says he confused his handgun for his stun gun when he ran after Harris.
In a video of the encounter, Bates can be heard shouting, "Taser! Taser!" and later saying, "I shot him! I'm sorry!"
The deputy told NBC's Today he had no desire to take anyone's life that day.
"I rate this as No. 1 on my list of things in my life that I regret...The laser light is the same on each weapon. I saw the light and I squeezed the trigger and then realized I dropped the gun. This was not an intentional thing."
Harris' family released a statement after Bates expressed his regret, saying, "We appreciate Bob Bates' apology...Unfortunately, Mr. Bates' apology will not bring Eric back."
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!