Eric Harris' autopsy results show he had meth in his system when he was shot and killed by a volunteer deputy last month.Robert Bates shot Harris on April 2 during a gun-sale sting. Harris' autopsy shows he died from a gunshot wound and a medical examiner ruled his death a homicide.
According to the report, Harris was diagnosed with "acute intoxication by methamphetamine," as well as suffering from cardiovascular disease and hypertension.
Bates, a 73-year-old former insurance executive, pleaded not guilty to manslaughter charges. He says he confused his handgun for his stun gun when he ran after Harris.
In a video of the encounter, Bates can be heard shouting, "Taser! Taser!" and later saying, "I shot him! I'm sorry!"
The deputy told NBC's Today he had no desire to take anyone's life that day.
"I rate this as No. 1 on my list of things in my life that I regret...The laser light is the same on each weapon. I saw the light and I squeezed the trigger and then realized I dropped the gun. This was not an intentional thing."
Harris' family released a statement after Bates expressed his regret, saying, "We appreciate Bob Bates' apology...Unfortunately, Mr. Bates' apology will not bring Eric back."
- Latest mortgage news: Rates close in on 6%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Sleepy French bulldog throws temper tantrum when mom says he needs …
- Nordstrom’s 4th of July sale is on — Here are over 25 of the best deal…
- Pack these 5 summer sandwiches in your picnic basket
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!