People who come from more diverse countries tend to smile more and for different reasons, according to a new study.
It is thought that nonverbal forms of communication become more important when people with different languages and cultural norms have to interact.
Conversely, in countries with homogenous backgrounds, smiles communicating dominance are more prevalent since social hierarchies are well-established.
To arrive at these findings, the research team first scored countries' levels of historical heterogeneity which reflects whether their populations came from few or numerous places over their previous 500-year history.
They determined that China and Japan both had minimal migratory influences while Canada's population originated from as many as 63 different countries during that time period.
A new study was eventually conducted across nine countries including France, Indonesia, Israel, and the United States which asked 726 total participants to judge the given scenarios that deserved a smile.
The examples included happiness, superiority, and sales solicitation.
Based on these results and findings from another unrelated study, the researchers determined a strong correlation between historical heterogeneity and emotional expressivity, including when it comes to smiling.
More from AOL
Shop this video: Tone & lift your face in 5 minutes
Mercury's magnetic field is way older than we thought
From Rockies east, severe weather casts a wide net
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- Experts Recommend to Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Get Funds For Your Future With A Reverse Mortgage
- Upgrade your favorite foods with these easy air fryer hacks
- Learn the basics of at-home baking with this perfect chocolate chip co…
- Chriselle Lim is changing the way millennial and Gen Z moms work
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!