People who come from more diverse countries tend to smile more and for different reasons, according to a new study.
It is thought that nonverbal forms of communication become more important when people with different languages and cultural norms have to interact.
Conversely, in countries with homogenous backgrounds, smiles communicating dominance are more prevalent since social hierarchies are well-established.
To arrive at these findings, the research team first scored countries' levels of historical heterogeneity which reflects whether their populations came from few or numerous places over their previous 500-year history.
They determined that China and Japan both had minimal migratory influences while Canada's population originated from as many as 63 different countries during that time period.
A new study was eventually conducted across nine countries including France, Indonesia, Israel, and the United States which asked 726 total participants to judge the given scenarios that deserved a smile.
The examples included happiness, superiority, and sales solicitation.
Based on these results and findings from another unrelated study, the researchers determined a strong correlation between historical heterogeneity and emotional expressivity, including when it comes to smiling.
More from AOL.com:
Celebs honor their moms and kids on Mother's Day
Terrified tourists get chased by black bears in Yellowstone National Park
Morgan Freeman has really strong feelings about pot
- Latest mortgage news: Rates retreat a bit
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Equity Into Cash
- Refinance And Have More Cash Each Month
- Unlock Your Exclusive Refi Rates Now
- Honey cake is the sweetest treat taking over TikTok
- Diver gets hilarious surprise when he cracks an egg at the ‘bottom of …
- 10 great kitchen items that are on sale this weekend (so get them ASAP…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!