For many Americans, monthly grocery spending is eating up a big portion of their budgets. On average, a family of four spends up to $1300 a month on food they consume at home. To make matters worse, most are spending more than they need to because of mistakes they're making when shopping at the super market. Here are three biggest mistakes many food shoppers make, as well as advice on how to avoid them.
1. Take advantage of deals
A lot of people buy groceries week to week, which isn't a smart way to take advantage of super market deals. These shoppers often have to pay full price for 40-50% of what goes in their carts. The better way to shop is to stock up on items you know you will always use when they go on sale. Store the surplus in your freezer or pantry. Also, plan your weekly purchases of perishable items around what's on sale. Be sure to check weekly sales flyers or use an app such as favado to see what's on sale at your local stores before you shop.
2. Do your research before shopping
Most super markets provide the cost per unit of products on labels displayed on shelves. This is an easy way to get a true price comparison across brands and package sizes. If you don't check the price per unit, you might end up paying more for fewer products in the long run. For example, a container of name brand orange juice might be on sale and appear to have a lower price than the store brand. If the brand name container is 50 oz., while the store brand is 64 oz. the cost per unit can help you figure out which really is the better deal.
3. Take advantage of savings apps and sites
You don't have to give up an entire weekend to clip coupons to use them. Many supermarket websites and apps to load coupons directly to your store or loyalty card. Some products come with coupons already attached to their packaging, which can be redeemed immediately at checkout.
When it comes to using coupons, the biggest way to save is when you use them to purchase household and personal hygiene products, which can be especially pricey.
Click through the pictures below to learn 6 more ways you can save.
- This Year's Best High-Interest Savings Accounts
- The Best States to Retire in 2022
- 7 Crucial Retirement Mistakes
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of August 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold