Critics are speaking out against Chipotle's recent ban of GMO ingredients, saying that the company is marketing to the public's unfounded fears and that it is inaccurately portraying its food as healthy.
Critics argue that the company is attempting to market its products based on the public's unfounded, fear-based views of the issue.
According to them, a lack of knowledge about GMOs has led people to believe that eating these foods could result in allergic reactions, interfere with antibiotics, or cause other health issues.
However, numerous organizations including the National Academy of Sciences have deemed foods with GMOs to be safe for consumption.
The other primary argument against Chipotle's ban is that it implies that its food is healthier when many of its meals have been shown to contain more than 1,600 calories and high levels of salt.
The chain will also continue to offer sodas with high fructose corn syrup, a genetically modified sweetener, and products from animals potentially raised on GMO feed.
And some modified ingredients such as baking powder and preservatives will still remain in the food supply pipeline.
Oil and corn tortillas were the two biggest items affected by the ban.
More from AOL
Cancerous fish caught in Susquehanna River
Judge to receive update on Lindsay Lohan's community service
Amount of carbon dioxide in air keeps rising, hits milestone
- Latest mortgage news: Rates retreat amid recession fears
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Watch this TikToker get served by a robot
- TikToker shares dishwasher hack that makes washing tall glasses easy
- You should definitely buy these amazing J.Crew boyfriend jeans while t…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!