INSIDE EDITION -- Joy Lofthouse, an air transport auxiliary vet, was a Spitfire pilot during World War II for the Royal Air Force.
Now, at 92-years-old, she got ready to return to the skies 70 years later for the anniversary of VE Day which marked Nazi Germany's unconditional surrender to the Allied Forces of World War II. BBC Radio 5 Live was there for the experience.
She said, "I am sort of excited but aware of my age. Hopefully things go okay. I am not as comfortable as I did when I used to fly them alone when I was young."
She even got to take over the controls and fly the plane.
While in the air she said, "I am so lucky to have been given the chance to fly it again. It is hard to describe the feeling. It almost makes me feel young again."
But things have changed since the last time she flew the Spitfire.
When she landed, she told BBC, "I couldn't talk as much I had hoped; of course someone was talking all the time. That was something I was not used to. We had no radio, once you took off you had complete silence and that was a big difference today."
Even though it was 70 years since she last flew a Spitfire, for Lofthouse, it was a still a joy to behold.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- ‘I held my fiancée’s sister’s baby, and she freaked out’
- Even your toddler will love this gluten-free, fruit-filled smash cake …
- 6 DIY condiment recipes that are healthier than store-bought
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!