Recent troubles surrounding the death of Freddie Gray in Baltimore, Maryland have brought many large issues to light for America. His neck was broken while in police custody after an arrest in April, causing mass riots and protests in the city of Baltimore.
And his name is just one to add to a very long list.
"There are so many people, black men, that have been killed for no reason," says a woman from Sandtown-Winchester, the same neighborhood where Gray was raised. "There are thousands of Freddie Grays."
Women in the New York Times video above recount how the neighborhood has changed over the years, citing that just because of where they live, cops treat them differently.
The slew of abandoned buildings throughout the neighborhood are used for drugs, prostitution, and other unseemly habits. Poverty and unemployment rates are double Baltimore's average, and sits only 50 miles away from Washington, D.C.
"We have to go out of our neighborhood for football. It's like -- we need more things within these blocks," says Tiffany Fair, a Sandtown-Winchester resident. "We need things here."
The community unrest has existed in the neighborhood and surrounding ones for a while now, and came to a breaking point with the death of Freddie Gray. One woman can be seen in the streets holding a sign that reads, 'I am Black, I am intelligent, and I am hated in this country.'
While many are calling for justice, it's not clear how or when it will come.
For more stories on issues in America, click through the slideshow below:
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!