The giant, iconic signs of New York City's Times Square have recently come under federal scrutiny.
According to Polly Trottenberg, commissioner of the city's Department of Transportation, federal officials are pressuring her department to either get rid of most of the billboards or risk losing funding.
A 2012 federal law designated numerous roads, including the ones that run throughTimes Square, to be part of the National Highway System since they are key connectors into the network.
All those roads fall under federal guidelines including the 1965 Highway Beautification Act which limits the size of signage within 660 feet to a maximum of 1,200 square feet.
Most of the oversized billboards in Times Square do not meet this requirement.
The penalty for non-compliance is 10 percent of the federal highway money given to states, which, in this case, totals around $90 million.
Commissioner Trottenberg has vowed to keep all the signs citing their iconic status and benefits to tourism and the economy.
The department is currently in talks with various agencies to determine a solution.
More from AOL.com:
Watch: KFOR captures Moore tornado touching down live
Manager finds terrifying words printed on receipt
Remembering the Hindenburg 78 years later
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Are you a homeowner? Refinance rates at 2.06% APR.
- You've got thousands of reasons to refinance ($$$)
- Mortgage payoff tactic eliminates 15 years of payments
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!