A deadly shooting near a Wisconsin park left three dead -- but one victim's act of heroism saved two of her children.When a gunman randomly opened fire on a bridge trail in Menasha, Wisconsin, he killed Erin Stoffel's husband and 11-year-old daughter, as well as one other man. However, the death toll would have been higher if it weren't for Stoffel's quick thinking.
According to WLUK, despite being shot three times herself, the mother managed to shuffle her 7-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter off of a pedestrian bridge. Amid the gunfire, she instructed her son to run for help.
"It's an amazing story of heroism on her part and certainly of her children," Dr. Ray Georgen said during a press conference on Monday. "You can never underestimate the power of a mother to protect her children. To have three gunshot wounds and be able to get off that bridge and save two of her children is incredible to think about."
Police say the shooter, 27-year-old Sergio Valencia Del Toro, randomly opened fire after a fight with his ex-fiancee. He then turned the gun on himself.
Authorities claim Del Toro didn't know any of his victims.
Also on AOL:
Accused Texas gunman was former target of FBI terror probe
Raleigh police officer burned by free coffee sues Starbucks
Group's prom picture with guns and a Confederate flag causes controversy
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Your Best Refinance Rates for April 2021
- Thank You For Your Service: $0 Down Payment on VA Loans
- Calculate Your New Refi Payment in Minutes. See if You Can Save
- I bought 3 of Amazon’s most popular teddy pieces — here’s what I’m …
- Don’t miss the last chance to snag these 6 gorgeous sweaters for over …
- 80,000 Amazon ratings prove why people love these comfortable face mas…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!