A deadly shooting near a Wisconsin park left three dead -- but one victim's act of heroism saved two of her children.When a gunman randomly opened fire on a bridge trail in Menasha, Wisconsin, he killed Erin Stoffel's husband and 11-year-old daughter, as well as one other man. However, the death toll would have been higher if it weren't for Stoffel's quick thinking.
According to WLUK, despite being shot three times herself, the mother managed to shuffle her 7-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter off of a pedestrian bridge. Amid the gunfire, she instructed her son to run for help.
"It's an amazing story of heroism on her part and certainly of her children," Dr. Ray Georgen said during a press conference on Monday. "You can never underestimate the power of a mother to protect her children. To have three gunshot wounds and be able to get off that bridge and save two of her children is incredible to think about."
Police say the shooter, 27-year-old Sergio Valencia Del Toro, randomly opened fire after a fight with his ex-fiancee. He then turned the gun on himself.
Authorities claim Del Toro didn't know any of his victims.
Also on AOL:
Accused Texas gunman was former target of FBI terror probe
Raleigh police officer burned by free coffee sues Starbucks
Group's prom picture with guns and a Confederate flag causes controversy
- Latest mortgage news: Rates close in on 6%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Best Refinance Rates for Summer
- Are You A Homeowner? Turn Your Skyrocketing Equity Into Cash
- Sleepy French bulldog throws temper tantrum when mom says he needs …
- Nordstrom’s 4th of July sale is on — Here are over 25 of the best deal…
- Pack these 5 summer sandwiches in your picnic basket
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!