For the past few years it's become increasingly common in the UK to see the gender neutral title 'Mx.' appearing as an option alongside Ms., Mrs., Mr. and the like.
Some say it as 'mix' while others insist it is 'mux'.
The people at the Oxford English Dictionary are now considering adding it to their upcoming edition as well.
Said editor Jonathan Dent, "This is an example of how the English language adapts to people's needs, with people using language in ways that suit them rather than letting language dictate identity to them."
The honorific has already become commonplace in a number of official capacities, including on UK government paperwork and drivers' licenses.
Many banks and universities have adopted the use of 'Mx.' as well.
Among them are long-standing institutions such as Barclays and the University of Oxford.
It's believed that the abbreviation first appeared in the 1970s on the pages of the American parenting magazine 'Single Parent.'
It was originally suggested as alternative to traditional titles and the gender politics they implied.
Though it has over the years grown in popularity and scope, it's still not entirely clear how it's pronounced.
More on AOL:
Late star's daughter looks all grown up
Boston Marathon bomber brought to tears at trial
Internet reacts to royal baby's name
New York City police officer dies following shooting
- Latest mortgage news: Rates retreat amid recession fears
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- These bike shorts are so comfortable, I want to wear them every sin…
- The Ostrich Chair may seem a little ridiculous, but TikTok is obsessed…
- 6 Nike sneakers to add to your closet for $100 or less
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!