Big Bird from Sesame Street was close to being one of the casualties of the space shuttle Challenger.
According to Caroll Spinney, the long-time puppeteer behind the costume, NASA had sent him a letter about possibly taking Big Bird on a mission with the intent of promoting space activities to kids.
Spinney claims he was ultimately not selected because the 8-foot-2-inch-high costume was deemed too big for the shuttle.
Instead, he was replaced by teacher Christa McAuliffe who was chosen for NASA's Teacher in Space Project to join the flight.
In January 1986, the shuttle broke apart soon after takeoff, killing McAuliffe and the other six astronauts on board.
Spinney writes in an essay that he and the Sesame Street crew cried after they saw the fatal event.
This story and others were told in the context of a recently released documentary about his life called, "I Am Big Bird."
NASA has since confirmed that they had opened a dialogue with Sesame Street about possibly participating in the flight, but it went no further.
Also on AOL:
David Muir, Lester Holt in see-saw battle for evening-news viewers
Mariah Carey to perform on Billboard stage after 17 years
Hilary Duff posts adorable snap of her pup
The Latest from our Partners
- Mortgage rates drop once again, remaining below 3%
- Refi with no hidden fees/points - as low as 2.125% APR (15yr)
- Do this before your next mortgage payment (it's genius)
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $726k (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Spoil your Valentine with sweets from Dylan’s Candy Bar
- Upgrade your top drawer with Free People’s pretty — and affordable! — …
- Here’s how to send the ‘love fern’ from ‘How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days’…
- An Insane card offering 0% interest until nearly 2021
- 7 outrageous credit cards if you have excellent credit
- Cards charging 0% interest until 2021
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…