Court hearing set in bridge scandal looming over Christie
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- A court proceeding involving the 2013 traffic jams on the George Washington Bridge, an investigation that has loomed over New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as he considers a presidential run, is set for Friday morning, prosecutors said.
An 11 a.m. court hearing is scheduled at the Martin Luther King Jr. Building and U.S. Courthouse, and the U.S. attorney's office will hold a news conference at 1 p.m.
The office, which Christie led before stepping down in 2008 to run for governor, has not said who will appear in court or released any other details.
Two of the three access lanes to the bridge in Fort Lee were shut down for four mornings in September 2013, causing massive delays.
The simmering scandal erupted a year ago when an email from Christie's deputy chief of staff, Bridget Kelly, to David Wildstein, a port authority official and Christie loyalist, was revealed. It read, "Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee." Wildstein's reply was, "Got it."
By the time that email was made public, Wildstein had already resigned, as had Bill Baroni, Christie's top appointee to the Port Authority. The governor fired Kelly and cut ties with Bill Stepien, his two-time campaign manager, amid the scandal.
Since then, investigations over whether the lanes were closed for political retribution have been looming over Christie.
After disappearing from the public view briefly, he re-emerged in his role as chairman of the Republican Governors Association and was the chief face and fundraiser for a successful election season for his party across the county.
Christie has launched a political action committee that allows him to pay for travel and a staff, but he has not formally declared himself a candidate for president.
Patrick Foye, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the powerful agency that runs the bridge - one of the busiest in the world - ordered lanes reopened on what would have been the fifth morning of closures.
Lawmakers began holding hearings on the closures and Christie laughed off suggestions that his administration had anything to do with them after the mayor of Fort Lee, Mark Sokolich, suggested that the lanes were blocked to get revenge against him, perhaps because he did not endorse Christie's re-election.
A law firm his office hired - and the state paid for - produced a report clearing Christie and his remaining staff of any wrongdoing. Democrats derided the report as a whitewash.
In December, a special legislative committee looking into the matter released its interim report. It did not link Christie to the lane closures, but said that Christie aides acted with "perceived impunity." The report noted, though, that several of the people it considered key witnesses either invoked their rights not to incriminate themselves and refused to answer questions or were put off-limits by federal criminal investigators.
Christie and his supporters have denounced the legislative effort as politically motivated.
Several members of Christie's staff testified before the lawmakers. They have not shared any bombshells that have offered proof that there was a broader plot to close the lanes or to cover up what happened. Some lawmakers have seized on the fact that one staffer, Jennifer Egea, said she sent Christie a text message about earlier testimony before the committee but later deleted it. The lawmakers' report said there was a volley of texts between the aide and Christie. They said that Christie's failure to supply them indicates that he must have deleted them, too.
The scandal also raised questions about how Christie's administration handled the rough and tumble world of New Jersey politics.