At the end of every job interview it's imperative that you follow up with a thank-you email, even if you're not completely thrilled about the position. It's common courtesy, and it show's that your highly interested in moving forward. Many job candidates tend to forget that the interview doesn't end when you leave the office. Instead, the interview is only completed after you send a thank-you email.
If you want to improve your chances of getting the job, sending a thank-you email is crucial. Below are three easy rules to follow when writing and sending out your follow-up emails. Abiding to these three simple rules will demonstrate your diligence and put you a step above other candidates applying for the position.
1. Time is of the essence
It's important that you do not take too much time to send your thank-you email to the interviewer. A common rule of thumb is to send out your thank-you email within 12-24 hours of leaving the office. If you can get it done much sooner, then the better off you'll be.
2. Keep it short and to the point
Your thank-you email should be straight forward, and take no longer than 30 minutes to write. A short email will demonstrate that you value the hiring manager's time.
3. Personalization is key
One of the biggest mistakes that you can make is to copy and paste a template thank-you letter you found online. Though templates are great for getting you started, they are pretty generic, and lack personality. A great way to add personality and life to your thank-you email is to reference specifics from the interview. By personalizing your thank-you letter, you demonstrate that you were truly engaged during the interview and leave a lasting impression on the interviewer's mind.
While your resume and cover letter hold the most weight, no job search is complete without a thank-you email.
Click through the pictures below to see the 7 tools every job seeker needs:
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- $300K Refi in this Economy? 2.01% APR (15 yr)
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Rates Could Rise After the Fed Meets. Lock in Now.
- Home Mortgage Rates Drop Sharply This Week
- HARP Refinance Program is Over. Now What?
- Digital Mortgage Platform Helps Home Buyers Shop for Mortgages
- Transfer your debt to a card with 0% intro APR until 2022
- Score a $200 Sign Up Bonus fast with this card
- Our 2 Favorite Cards for Everyday Expenses
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program