While living abroad or exploring different countries, it's typically tricky attempting to figure out what's exactly "culturally acceptable." There's nothing worse than turning down a plate of food at someone's house and suddenly you've insulted their entire family -- ancestors included. Talk about awkward!
The truth is -- different cultures often have very different views of what they consider to be polite, in addition to what they consider to be down right rude. To those foreign to that culture, slip ups are certainly easy to come by.
For instance, in Turkey, you should refuse an offer at least twice before accepting. So when it comes down to that plate of food I mentioned earlier, turning it down would probably be the best way NOT to get the death stare.
In the Netherlands, waving your hand next to your ear suggests you just had a seriously delicious meal, while in America, it means that you're probably a little coo-coo!
But if you think that's interesting -- try this on for size! In America, touching your thumb and forefinger to make an "O" shape usually means "it's all good," right? Well, in Turkey it has a seriously sexual connotation. In Belgium, France and Tunisia, it means you're calling someone a zero -- and in South Europe, it's the equivalent to giving someone the middle finger.
How's that for differentiating customs?
Avoid any awkward, humiliating and potentially offending gestures with the video guide at the top of this page -- because clearly, no doesn't always mean yes, and just because WE believe something to be acceptable, doesn't mean others do too!
Click through for the top 25 travel destinations of 2015:
The Latest from our Partners
- This perfectly ‘cozy’ (and affordable!) teddy fleece jacket will ke…
- More than 12,000 Amazon shoppers swear by Crockpot’s electric lunch bo…
- These $22 packing cubes are how I get away with only bringing a carry-…
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Use The Equity In Your Home To Get The Cash You Need
- Latest mortgage news: Rates pushing toward 7%
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Hilarious Kid Answers To Test Questions
- These Cake Messages Are Wrong In So Many Ways
- These Pregnancy Announcements Are Brilliantly Hilarious