By PAT PICKENS
(2) Washington Capitals vs. (3) New York Islanders
Season Series: Washington won 2-0-2
The Caps and Islanders are old Patrick Division rivals but will meet in the postseason for the first time since 1993. Both teams missed postseason a year ago after first-round exits in 2013, but both teams are headed in different directions as the postseason commences.
Cap hits: Washington is a popular darkhorse to come out of the East, and it's because of the superstar tandem of Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Ovechkin. The Great Eight netted 53 goals this season -- 25 on the power play -- and Backstrom posted a league-best 60 assists this season.
Contrary to past seasons, Washington has established depth along its blue line. John Carlson has quietly evolved into one of the best two-way defensemen in the game, and Mike Green recorded 45 points -- his most since 2010. Braden Holtby played in more games (73) than any other goaltender and recorded a .923 save percentage.
Islanders watch: The Islanders operate through John Tavares. The superstar center enjoyed a resurgent year after suffering a knee injury at the Sochi Olympics last February, posting a career-high 86 points and falling just one shy of the Art Ross trophy.
After dominating the season's first three months, the Isles crashed back to earth in the season's last two months, narrowly making it into the field of 8. Jaroslav Halak, who was so solid for the first half of the season, ended with a .914 save percentage and 2.43 goals-against average.
If two-way defenseman Travis Hamonic's lower-body injury is serious, the Islanders could be in trouble.
Series X-factor: Special teams. The Islanders enter with the worst penalty kill of all 16 playoff teams, and the Caps boast the NHL's best power play. Washington likely won't get many man-advantages, but if it cashes in on them, the Caps shouldn't have any trouble dispatching the Isles.
The Pick: Capitals in 5.
Too much Ovechkin, too much Backstrom, too many power-play goals.
Follow Devils Insiders on Twitter: @DevilsInsiders
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate hits pause — but still near 13-y…
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Refinance Rates Remain Historically Cheap
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- Can You Refinance With $0 Out of Pocket?
- Need Cash? Take Money Out of Your Home
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Enjoy meatballs without the meat with these plant-based recipes
- Take French toast to the next level with these stuffed French toast re…
- Woman does double take when Dunkin’ receipt says her iced coffee has 5…
- Spend $500, Get $200 Fast With This Top Card
- Best Travel Credit Cards Of May 2022
- Plan The Trip Of A Lifetime With This Travel Card Bonus