What to do in Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon has all the things travelers look for in a European city break, without the huge crowds or high prices of places like Paris and London. You'll find historic neighborhoods, all-night nightlife, food, drink ... a castle. The New York Times has put together a 36-hour itinerary that takes in some of the city's newest hotspots and local favorites. Watch the video above for an inside look at Lisbon culture, then check out this recap of the Times' weekend guide:
- Spend some time in the Praca do Comercio, where you'll find the Museu da Cerveja, a museum dedicated to beer.
- Walk along the waterfront to the Trafaria Praia, a tile-covered ferry that runs a few scenic boat tours each day.
- For dinner, eat your way through the Mercado da Ribeira, an enormous upscale food court where some of Lisbon's top chefs serve up Portuguese fare.
- Cap the night off with a visit to the always evolving bars of the Cais do Sodre neighborhood.
- Start your day at the Casa-Museu Medeiros e Almeida, a mansion filled with art and artifacts from around the world.
- For lunch, check out a market -- Mercado de Campo de Ourique has everything from sushi to air-cured pork.
- After fueling up, turn your browsing from food stalls to local boutiques at the Embaixada, or "Conceptual Shopping Gallery."
- Continue to the nearby Entre Tanto for more indie stores.
- Once you've shopped up an appetite, try the traditional and modern Portuguese dishes at Leopold, a new restaurant near St. Christopher church.
- Later at night, get a second dose of Lisbon nightlife at Park, a rooftop bar atop a concrete parking structure.
- Don't rush your morning, Lisbon loves lazy Sundays.
- Once you're up and about, the last stop on your tour is Room 61 at the Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, a soul-shaking gallery of European paintings.
Full itinerary: New York Times: 36 hours in Lisbon
Top things to do in Lisbon
More travel on AOL
America's 10 most endangered rivers
Top Zion National Park hike
5 iPhone photography tips for D.C.'s cherry blossoms