Army shoots down reports it has decided to bring desertion charges against Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
By RYAN GORMAN
The Army is strongly refuting multiple reports that it has decided to bring desertion charges against soldier Bowe Bergdahl.
Both Fox News and NBC News cited unnamed sources claiming Bergdahl would be charged, but Major General Ronald F. Lewis, the Army's Chief of Public Affairs, quickly moved to shoot down the notion.
Strong statement from Maj. Gen. Ronald F. Lewis, Army Chief of Public Affairs: pic.twitter.com/M3uNNaSX0p- Leigh Munsil (@leighmunsil) January 27, 2015
The investigation has not yet concluded, Lewis further explained, adding that the investigation could result in either charges against the accused deserter or no action at all.
"We understand the public interest in this case and once a decision has been made, the Army will be open and transparent in this matter," said Lewis.
The Major General's comments came shortly after Forces Command spokesperson Paul Boyce told the Army Times that Bergdahl's case was still ongoing.
"[The military is] actively reviewing the case," said Boyce. "No decision's been made."
No court documents indicating charges have been filed against Bergdahl were available Tuesday, according to the Times.
"Gen. Mark Milley, commanding general of Forces Command, 'is reviewing now the Army's facts and findings to determine, impartially, any appropriate next steps and possible actions,' Boyce said," according to the paper.
Boyce also called the Fox News report "speculative in nature."
Bergdahl, 28, disappeared in 2009 from his military base in Afghanitan, spent five years in captivity and was freed May 31 of last year after the U.S. freed five Guantanamo Bay detainees.
The Army has yet to release any details surrounding his disappearance or the investigation.