Orkin finds top US cities with bed bug problems
This is a bedbug. We can all agree they are absolutely disgusting.
Exterminators have the dirty job of getting rid of them, along with other bugs that try to invade your space.
Pest-control company Orkin has compiled a list of the top cities with infestation problems.
At No. 1 ... the Windy City. Chicago just can't seem to blow the bugs away.
OK, except these bugs don't leave, it seems. Especially not in Chicago, which has made the top of the list three times in a row now.
Rounding out the top five cities that are bugging out: Detroit; Columbus, Ohio; Los Angeles; and the Cleveland - Akron - Canton, Ohio area.
Anchors at Detroit's WXYZ didn't enjoy the fact their city was no. 2 on the list.
Orkin says Americans spent $446 million getting rid of blood-sucking bedbugs in 2013. Compare that with the $70 million spent in 2004.
The big issue is just how difficult bedbugs are to get rid of. Special chemical treatments are often needed; plus, they're active year-round.
See below for the full list (with any changes in rankings since 2013 marked in parentheses):
- Los Angeles (+1)
- Columbus, Ohio (+3)
- Detroit (-2)
- Cleveland/Akron/Canton (+2)
- Dayton (+4)
- Washington D.C. (-1)
- Denver (-5)
- Indianapolis (+6)
- Richmond/Petersburg, Va. (+1)
- Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville, N.C. (+3)
- Dallas/Ft. Worth (-4)
- Syracuse, N.Y. (+7)
- Atlanta (+14)
- Houston (+2)
- New York (-7)
- Seattle/Tacoma (-5)
- San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose (-5)
- Boston (+2)
- Milwaukee (-2)
- Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (+3)
- Nashville (+17)
- Pittsburgh (+12)
- Charlotte (+18)
- San Diego (+6)
- Baltimore (-7)
- Phoenix (+7)
- Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa (+4)
- Charleston/Huntington, W. Va. (+1)
- Knoxville, Tenn. (-4)
- Louisville, Ky. (-2)
- Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Mich. (+5)
- Hartford/New Haven, Conn. (-8)
- Champaign/Springfield, Ill. (+13)
- Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, S.C. (+11)
- Omaha, Neb. (-20)
- Buffalo, N.Y. (-10)
- Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, Neb. (+2)
- Lexington, Ky. (-16)
- Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, Calif. (+4)
- Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Colo. (-19)
- Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y. (-1)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul (-10)
- Honolulu (-8)
- Toledo, Ohio
- Peoria/Bloomington, Ill.
- Davenport, Iowa/Moline, Ill.
- New Orleans
- Kansas City
Over 100 birds found dead in California covered in mysterious goo
Study finds most expensive state to be a smoker
The worst passwords of 2014 are ...