When searching for Malaysian flight 370, substantial masses of garbage were mistaken for possible airplane parts on multiple occasions. These alarmingly huge collections of waste make one question: just how much trash is in the ocean?
It is hard to pinpoint and measure an exact figure of how much junk there actually is because currents move waste around and there is not tracking system that scales the enormous ocean surface.
Industrial dumping from merchants, military, and cruise ships do the most damage. Merchants vessels alone dump 5.5 million containers of trash every day. Coastal sewage systems also contribute to the problem.
It takes about 500 years for plastic to photo-degrade completely in the sunlight. Until this plasctic actually disappears it will hang around and circulate as it is transported by the ocean's currents. When they travel far enough North, these plastics can freeze into solid masses. The Great Pacific garbage patch is a collection of solid hunks of garbage that have actually formed sizable 'islands'!
Anthony from DNews investigates what we do know about the pollution problems and how much junk is floating around.
More on AOL:
Paper or plastic: which bag hurts the environment more?
How can we stop sharks from going extinct?
Possible evidence global warming has slowed
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up again
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- These $22 packing cubes are how I get away with only bringing a car…
- Prices are up to 60% off at Athleta’s Summer Send-Off sale — here are …
- These 10 Alexa-enabled Amazon devices are up to 60% off for a limited …
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!