When searching for Malaysian flight 370, substantial masses of garbage were mistaken for possible airplane parts on multiple occasions. These alarmingly huge collections of waste make one question: just how much trash is in the ocean?
It is hard to pinpoint and measure an exact figure of how much junk there actually is because currents move waste around and there is not tracking system that scales the enormous ocean surface.
Industrial dumping from merchants, military, and cruise ships do the most damage. Merchants vessels alone dump 5.5 million containers of trash every day. Coastal sewage systems also contribute to the problem.
It takes about 500 years for plastic to photo-degrade completely in the sunlight. Until this plasctic actually disappears it will hang around and circulate as it is transported by the ocean's currents. When they travel far enough North, these plastics can freeze into solid masses. The Great Pacific garbage patch is a collection of solid hunks of garbage that have actually formed sizable 'islands'!
Anthony from DNews investigates what we do know about the pollution problems and how much junk is floating around.
More on AOL:
Paper or plastic: which bag hurts the environment more?
How can we stop sharks from going extinct?
Possible evidence global warming has slowed
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!