Slow Cooker Chipotle Quinoa Bake + Enchilada Filling
This dish is a cinch to throw together and it is so much fun to eat. It is packed with protein, it is gluten free (omitting orzo) and this casserole/bake will give you and your kids just the right amount of fuel to keep on keeping on! You can enjoy it as a casserole or use it as a filling for empanadas or enchiladas.
- 1 lb ground meat, cooked thoroughly
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 can black bean
- 1 can rotel or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green salsa verde
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped + 3 tsp adobe sauce
- ¾ cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 cup Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese (I do half and half)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped as a garnish
- Place the ground meat, uncooked quinoa, orzo, black beans, tomatoes,corn, onions and peppers into the slow cooker. Arrange in sections or just toss them all in.
- In a small measuring cup stir together the adobe sauce, salsa and enchilada sauce. Add in the chopped chipotle peppers, minced garlic, lime zest and all of the remaining seasonings. Pour over the meat and veggies in the slow cooker and give it one good stir. Add in the water and chicken broth. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours. Just before serving stir in the cheese and fresh cilantro and ENJOY!
- Save the leftovers to use as a filling for enchiladas or empanadas.