It seems January is a popular time for couples to file for divorce -- in fact, it's even earned the nickname 'Divorce Month.'
Divorce filings in the U.S. increase by about 33 percent compared to the other 11 months of the year.
Many believe it's because couples don't want to break up during the holidays, so they wait to file until after celebrating the New Year.
"People don't want to be accused by friends, family that they were heartless right before Christmas," a divorce lawyer told CNN last year.
Filing at this time also means there's a decent chance the couple will be divorced in time for each to file as a single person on April tax forms -- and this isn't just in the U.S.
MarketWatch reports a recent survey conducted by a legal firm found 1 in 5 couples in the U.K. also plan to divorce in January.
According to The Conversation, January has been a prevalent time to get divorced since all the way back in the Middle Ages.
Overall, the chances of a marriage ending in divorce are pretty high.
In 2014, a researcher from the University of Maryland found divorce rates in the U.S. are on the rise, most likely because of the recovering economy. He suggests that between 2008 and 2011, around 150,000 couples who wished to divorce didn't end up doing so because of the poor economy.
KNBC reports this is also a popular time to start looking for a new partner.
"Match.com says it quickly sees a 40 percent jump in new signups between December and February," an anchor says.
Sounds like all those newly single people want a date for Valentine's Day.
Also on AOL:
Bono weighs in on romantic Irishman's elaborate proposal
'Storage Wars': Price battle for a unit pays off big time
'My Husband's Not Gay': TLC's special is causing controversy
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Need Cash? How to Access Your Home's Equity
- Mortgage Payoff Tactic Eliminates 15 Years of Payments
- Don’t Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Amazon shoppers can’t stop raving about this $5 product that gives …
- Apple Prime Day 2021 Deals: iPhones, Macbooks, iPads, AirPods and more
- Here’s how to unlock exclusive deals on cult hair products from Coco &…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!