By RYAN GORMAN
Recently released images show the stunning moment lightning bolts shot across a massive ash cloud emanating from an Indonesian volcano.
The shock lightning occurred nearly one year ago, but the images were only released this week by photographer Martin Rietze, according to the Mirror. He has spent the past 12 months chronicling the eruption of the Sinabung volcano.
The spectacular bolts of lightning streak through the ash cloud as red hot molten lava slowly seeps towards villages below that have since been engulfed by the liquid fire as if the gates of hell have swung open and the apocalypse has begun.
But there is a much more scientific explanation.
Static electricity caused by the collision of dust particles within the 8,000-foot-tall volcano is what likely led to the lightning, according to National Geographic.
Located in northern Sumatra, Sinabong had been dormant for hundreds of years before awakening in 2010.
Multiple villages were first enveloped in a thick blanket of ash before melting in a molten flow of lava.
Thousands have fled certain doom under mandatory evacuations and dozens have perished since the eruptions began.
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!
- $400K Refi in this Economy? 1.99% APR (15 yr)
- Need Cash for Your Fixer Upper? Use Your Home's Equity!
- Experts Recommend Refi Before Rates Keep Rising
- Notice: cars driven less than 25 miles could pay less
- Seniors, get car insurance from $39 per month
- Qualified zip codes save big on insurance
- People Who Retire Comfortably Avoid These Financial Advisor Mistake…
- The Worst Way to Withdraw From Retirement Accounts
- 2020: How to Maximize Your Savings
- Snag Amazon devices for less, thanks to these early Prime Day deals
- My mom has been a flight attendant for 38 years — here’s what she swea…
- This expensive-looking tank on Nordstrom is now 40% off — get it befor…
- Cards Charging 0% Interest Until Nearly 2023
- You Could Earn 100K Points With This Astonishing Travel Card
- Get Financially Fit with these Credit Cards