Even determined thieves can become distracted by ringing smartphones. New York City police shared surveillance footage showing a suspect stealing scratch-off lottery tickets and putting the burglary on hold to answer his phone.
The crime occurred during the early morning hours of Christmas Eve. The man gained entry into the Bronx restaurant by forcing his way under the front door of the establishment. He was wearing a head-mounted flashlight as he approached the area where the tickets are stored. While he swiftly rifled through the scratch-offs, the burglar stopped, reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He placed it to his ear for a brief moment before ending the call and getting right back to business.
However it wasn't long before his device was lighting up yet again. Instead of ignoring the incoming call, he stopped what he was doing and answered it again. After that second short conversation wrapped up, he continued swiping the tickets before fleeing the scene on foot. He managed to make off with an undisclosed number of New York state tickets.
More from AOL.com:
A 2,000-mile swath of snow thanks to winter storm Gorgon
What Disney men look like in real life
Iowa teenager dies days after flu symptoms appear
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- DSW’s latest epic sale includes up to 50% off must-have summer snea…
- These tech gifts under $100 are great for the grads in your life becau…
- People can’t get enough of maude’s wellness products: ‘Absolutely love…
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!