Even determined thieves can become distracted by ringing smartphones. New York City police shared surveillance footage showing a suspect stealing scratch-off lottery tickets and putting the burglary on hold to answer his phone.
The crime occurred during the early morning hours of Christmas Eve. The man gained entry into the Bronx restaurant by forcing his way under the front door of the establishment. He was wearing a head-mounted flashlight as he approached the area where the tickets are stored. While he swiftly rifled through the scratch-offs, the burglar stopped, reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He placed it to his ear for a brief moment before ending the call and getting right back to business.
However it wasn't long before his device was lighting up yet again. Instead of ignoring the incoming call, he stopped what he was doing and answered it again. After that second short conversation wrapped up, he continued swiping the tickets before fleeing the scene on foot. He managed to make off with an undisclosed number of New York state tickets.
More from AOL.com:
A 2,000-mile swath of snow thanks to winter storm Gorgon
What Disney men look like in real life
Iowa teenager dies days after flu symptoms appear
- Latest mortgage news: 30-year rate edges up again
- 5 ways a personal loan could help you save money
- Latest mortgage rates: Refinancing clock is ticking as rates rise
- Smart Ways To Pay for a Home Renovation
- Want Cash Out of Your Home? Here Are Your Best Options
- Don't Borrow From The Bank - Borrow From Yourself
- Prices are up to 60% off at Athleta’s Summer Send-Off sale — here a…
- These 10 Alexa-enabled Amazon devices are up to 60% off for a limited …
- 9 thoughtful (and useful) going-away gifts for new college students
- The True Story Behind "The Blind Side"
- These Are All The Hidden Hacks Of Costco
- The Largest Military Planes In The World Are A Sight To Behold
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!