By RYAN GORMAN
The NFL official widely credited with helping to overturn what many feel was an obvious pass interference call during a Sunday playoff game has quite the range of political beliefs.
Jerry Bergman, a line judge, convinced a veteran referee that there was only limited contact in a controversial play during the Detroit Lions – Dallas Cowboys game. He also spends quite a bit of time talking up his incendiary politics.
The hardline conservative compares Hillary Clinton running for president to Deanna Favre, wife of legendary quarterback Brett Favre, being an NFL passer.
He also jokes about a tax return being rejected because he listed millions of illegal immigrants and hordes on welfare as dependents.
Friends, a receptive audience, mostly laugh at the provocative comments, first unearthed by the website Uproxx and subsequently viewed by AOL News.
Conservative political views hardly impact one's ability to be an effective NFL referee but the avid Pittsburgh Pirates fan has left them public for all to view, including a curious post claiming he prefers "not to think before speaking."
But Bergman was accused by a former NFL referee of intimidating the other officials into taking his side in the call. A similar aggressive, angry tone is evident throughout his Facebook page.
Game footage showed clear contact between Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens and Lions tight end Brandon Pettigrew before the ball arrived, an obvious penalty.
Obvious enough, in fact, for multiple other officials to toss their flags and call pass interference.
Blatant enough for head referee Pete Morelli to announce to the entire stadium, and television audience, that pass interference was called and that the Lions were awarded first down.
The officials then picked up their flags and reversed the penalty at Bergman's insistence.
The Lions were stuck with a 4th down, punted and soon gave up what would be the game winning touchdown to the Cowboys on a Tony Romo pass to receiver Terrence Williams.
- Calculate your new refi payment in minutes. See if you can save
- Lock in a 2.06% APR Refi Rate Before The Fed Meets
- A Simple Way to Pay Off Your House ASAP
- Forget the 30yr mortgage if you owe less than $822K (Do this instea…
- How to pay off your house ASAP (So simple it's unbelievable)
- Congress Gives Veterans A Generous Mortgage Relief Program
- 7 of the best cooler bags you won’t mind schlepping to your next ou…
- Girls That Scuba builds community underwater: ‘We’re in it together’
- Instagram says you need a Brandon Blackwood bag this summer — and now,…
- Savings Interest Rates SkyRocket After Fed Meeting
- With the Recent Rate Hike, CDs Become Best Investment
- Mortgage Rates Remain Low by Historical Standards – Experts Urge Locki…
- Today's Top Mortgage Rates in Your Area
- Reach Your Financial Goals and Help Your Money Grow with these Top Inv…
- Drowning in Credit Card Debt? Consider a Debt Consolidation Loan!